« Return to Search Results


Courts-Martial Report re: Recommendation of Courts-Martial Panel

Jan. 15, 2004 | DOA | ACLU-RDI 494
Commander's report of a 15-6 Investigation and Courts-Martial, dated December 2003. This document pertains to allegations that U.S. soldiers broke the jaw of an Iraqi high school boy. There is evidence that suggests the 311th MI personnel and/or translators engaged in physical torture of the detainees. The soldier hooded the boy and placed him in a room with "very loud music", and "was exercised without stopping for approximately 3 hours" while flexi-cuffed, and was "subject to being hit by water bottles. He had cold water poured on him and was yelled at repeatedly by roving guards." The victim was thrown towards a wall, kicked in the face and broke his jaw. The report found that "Abuse of detainees in some form or other was an acceptable practice and was demonstrated to the inexperienced infantry guards almost as guidance" by 311th Battalion Military Intelligence personnel. The report is detailed and contains several sworn, handwritten statements buy the soldiers involved.
  • 2003-12-10, Unknown, Iraq
    • A detainee was brought with approximately seventy other detainees to the 2nd BCT Holding Area. This holding area is a prison like facility located on AO Glory and operated by B Company, 31 Military Intelligence (MI) Battalion. In the detention room he was made to perform excessive amounts of exercises like flutter kicks and knee benders for a period ranging in length, from three to four hours. Loud music was blasting in this room. The detainee was yelled at and was subjected to bullhorns in his face and cold water being poured on him. The guards in the room were roaming among the detainees pounding on metal doors, shouting at the detainees to perform exercises, and physically grabbing detainees up if they were slow getting to their feet. If the detainees attempted to lift the bags over their heads, the guards pulled the bags back down and spent extra time compelling the detainee. It was at this time the detainee suffered a broken jaw among other serious injuries. The detainee could not identify the specific MI personnel who broke his jaw because he was hooded