« Return to Search Results


CID Report (Death): 0040-04-CID469-79638

Apr. 30, 2004 | CID | ACLU-RDI 104
An investigation into the February 28, 2004 shooting of Muhamad Husain Kadir, an Iraqi cow herder who was flex-cuffed, by PFC Edward L. Richmond (name disclosed in later-produced court-martial records).  The platoon stationed at Taal Al Jal got instructions to shoot anyone fleeing the village. A PFC "noticed an Iraqi male walking his cattle away from the village [and] asked if I should shoot the farmer because he was leaving the village. I was told by SGT not [to] shoot him."  The PFC then got instructions that all males in the area should be arrested. One squad member stated: "We began to see local Iraqi nationals walking around in the fields herding their cows and sheep. There was never a reason given to why these Iraqis are being detained."  A SGT and PFC entered the field and cuffed Iraqis. PFC Richmond fired one round at a cuffed detainee, later claiming that detainee lunged at the SGT: "SGT then stated to me 'place my weapon on his head and if he so much as moves shoot him,' which I did." In a later statement, the PFC stated that "[L]ooking back on it now, I don't think the Iraqi actually lunged. What happened is [SGT] turned him to walk away; however, because of the adrenaline, when [SGT] moved the Iraqi out of my sight picture, I just reacted by shooting him." SGT states that detainee had been flexi-cuffed and did not lunge. Squad-member interviewed about incident states that accused soldier "would always see any Iraqi and ask if he could shoot them." Investigation found probable cause to believe that the shooting was a murder and that PFC Richmond made a false statement.  PFC Richmond was later convicted by court martialed (ACLU-RDI 1751, see link at right) of voluntary manslaughter and sentenced to, among others things, three years in prison.
  • 2004-02-28, Taal Al Jal, Iraq, Death
    •  A flex-cuffed Iraqi, Muhamad Husain Kadir, was shot and killed by PFC Edward L. Richmond.  An investigation established probable cause to believe that the killing was murder.  PFC Richmond was later convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to three years in prison.